Drawer Lights four our wardrobe drawers

After I have built our new wardrobe for the master bedroom, I always planned on adding light to the drawers I have installed. Today the time has finally come to execute this project.

One of the drawers
One of the drawers
The base for the light
The base for the light
Fitting the ligth base
Fitting the ligth base

I always had some ideas on how to install the lights, but my first two plans were way to complicated. So the version I now built is the third iteration. I initially wanted to have the switch at the back of the drawer and inbuilt into the wardrobe. However, this would have meant I needed a complicated structure behind each drawer to mount the switch. My actual solution did not hide the drawer but was a lot simpler to build and install. It allowed me to build the light for each drawer entirely in my shop, which made it a lot easier for me.

Starting LED installation
Starting LED installation
Installing the buttons
Installing the buttons
Detail of how the LED strips are installed
Detail of how the LED strips are installed

Another goal I had, was to not directly mount anything to the drawers and thereby destroy the drawers. The solution: Cut a rabbet into the wood with the same width as the drawer side thus allowing the light to slide on top of the drawer, without the need for any screws.

Wiring up the buttons
Wiring up the buttons
Connecting the LEDs
Connecting the LEDs
The finished light
The finished light

As a light source, I used a LED strip. These do not give a beautiful light, and for the next time I would buy strips with warm white light instead of cold white, but it works and fulfills the task of allowing me to find my things in the drawer without the need of the room light.

Installation of the cables
Installation of the cables
All the ligths cables
All the ligths cables

It is so beautiful to have light in this drawers; I could have been a bit faster on this project if I would have planed a bit better ahead of time. I initially planned to make 10 lights for all the drawers. However, mid-project I realized that I do not need light in every drawer. So, in the end, I only finished 6 lights.

We now lived with this project for some time already, and I’m pleased how it turned out. I needed to shim the buttons on some drawers a bit to get the light to turn off reliably.