Building a birthday present for my mother (Outdoor table build part 1 of 2)
This video contains the story, about how I build an outdoor table for my mother. It is the first part wherein I create the base for the table. The second part will then contain the construction of the table top and final installation.
CREATING THE LEGS
The table’s legs consist of two boards crossed in the middle. This design was looking quite simple in Fusion, but the actual construction was quite involved, as the angel for the crossing was not an even number. I managed to solve this by drawing the rectangular outline of the x onto my workbench - luckily it’s possible to replace the top layer of the bench :-)
After the first leg, the second was then straightforward as I could just lay it on top of the first one to get the right angles. The post will be held together with dowels and glue, but this will be done in a later step, as for the moment it is still essential to be able to take the legs apart.
CONSTRUCTING THE SUBSTRUCTURE
The substructure is the base to which I fasten the legs and the table top. The middle boards are used to install the diagonal leg braces in a later step.
INSTALLING THE LEGS
It’s finally time to fix the legs for the first time. As I deliver the table in our car to its final destination, the legs need to be removable. Each leg is connected via two M10 stainless steel screws.
FITTING THE DIAGONAL BRACES
To give the table additional rigidity, I designed two diagonal braces. Installing these took a lot of time, but it was totally worth it, as it makes the table completely firm. I used a short part of a string to determine the angels to cut the braces. As I do not own a protractor, this worked flawlessly. To connect the support on both sides, I used long screws.
CUTTING THE LEGS
After I constructed the base, it was finally time to cut the legs to length. I’ve measured the final hight for the table and marked it on each leg, and then cut them with the bandsaw.
SANDING & GLUEING
Before gluing the base together, the sander needed to touch every part. Sanding before gluing allowed for easy access on all the parts. The legs were not fixed to the substructure to be able to transport the table in the car.
To finish the base I applied three layers of an outdoor grade coating. The first layer is a protection layer against, and the two other layers are a colored finish to make the wood a bit darker. Unfortunately, it did get a bit more reddish then I planed. It did not happen on my small sample pieces.
Time to assemble the base for the first time. Everything went together as planed. I did not yet receive the final hardware at this time, so the bolts in the video and pictures are not stainless, but I’ve collected them shortly, and in the final installation I could then use the right hardware for an outdoor project.
Until in two weeks when I show, how I created and installed the table top.