Disk sander and vice tool stand
In the middle of last year, I got a small sanding disk from my late granddad. So after using it on the floor, it was time to give it a better place in my shop.
This project also involved moving my wood storage out of the shop to get more space. Moreover, I used it as a way to reuse some of my old wood and old screws. Most of the materials used in this project are reclaimed or reused from other projects. The stand looks a bit bad, but it is functional and works.
I’ve used whatever wood I had lying around in my shop. The wood used for the door and drawer belonged to my first ever furniture build I did some 15 years ago. It meant that I needed to piece some parts together to get it big enough. Especially for the top of the stand, as I had no leftover wood which was 60-by-60 centimeters big
Four boards, from an old pallet, connect the top and are stabilized with three diagonal braces. The base with the wheels was a leftover of a failed project to get my band saw onto wheels. I lastly found a good home for them.
As a drawer, I reuse my old scrap wood bin which I no longer need. I make the drawer a bit smaller before installing it. It will glide on two wooden rails.
The thin particle board I used to enclose the lower part did not work as intended, I was hoping that these would dampen the sound of the vacuum cleaner, but they are to thing for this. So I will need to think about this at a later point again.
The last part of the project is installing the dust collection. The disk sander is my first power tool with a dedicated dust management solution. I’m using a vacuum cleaner directly placed in the stand. It is set up to operate as soon as the tool is turned on. Luckily I got this feature for free as it is inbuilt into the vacuum cleaner I’m using.
To connect the hose to the sander, I’m building a small adapter box to convert between the two diameters of the pipe. It is clear that with this solution I’m losing some of the suction power, but it still has enough power for the small dust created by the sander. I also plan on adding a regular connection on the front of the box to connect a vacuum cleaner hose when needed.